Wednesday, January 26, 2011

New format & Snickerdoodle Blondies!

Ok - I'm going to try something new that might actually get me posting here more often. So many things happen throughout my days that I actually think 'I should blog about this', yet I never do. And I'm getting rid of all my other blogs. Everything's going to be here. Trying to keep up with 3 was just a ridiculous idea. Good concept, bad in execution. So here we are...

What's the new format? Dabbles.

I'm going to dabble a little here, and dabble a little there. There will be stuff here about the music I'm digging that day, there will be recipes, new workout ideas, craft projects, etc. A little of this, a little of that. Read what you want, ignore the rest...

Recipe Dabble:I'm going to try to bake one treat each week to sell at work to raise money for my Avon 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer that I'm doing in April. I have to raise $1800 and I'm about $600 short right now. I know I'll get there, but want to spur it along a little... So I decided to do something easy and these looked just like the ticket! I originally got the recipe from Jamie at My Baking Addiction, but when I looked in my pantry and saw the cinnamon chips sitting there, I thought they'd be a great addition to an already great concept - so into the batter they went! And I must say, these were easy, and AWESOME. I must get them out of my house so I don't eat them all! I plan on wrapping them and bringing them in tomorrow...

Here's the recipe:

Snickerdoodle Blondies
adapted from My Baking Addiction

Ingredients
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
a pinch nutmeg
1 cup cinnamon chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and/or line a 9×13 inch pan. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and set aside.

2. In large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar for 3-5 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, and beat until smooth.

3. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Fold in the cinnamon chips. Spread evenly in prepared pan (mixture will be somewhat cookie batter-ish, so it’s best to spread it out with a greased spatula or your hands). Combine the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a little bowl. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over the top of the batter.

4. Bake 25-30 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed. Cool before cutting.

Makes 20-24 bars.

YUM.

Music Dabble:

About a year and a half ago, Wade told me I NEEDED to get Seth James' CD, That Kind of Man. And I had every intention of doing so, but then it slipped my mind. How freakin' unfortunate! After seeing him with Wade, Cody and Sean on the acoustic tour in December, I was reminded of the conversation a year earlier and resolved that I WOULD get myself that CD. And I did. And I LOVE IT.

There are so many highlights on this album - I just keep it on regular rotation in my office. If you've seen him in concert, you'll recognize Cigarettes, Anger and Wine, Honky Tonk Saturday Night, Leaves of September and likely Thing for You. I also really like If the World Was Mine and Let's Make Us. Of course the love songs. I really do like his voice. A LOT. And he is just a little more than talented on the guitar. (That's an understatement).

Life Dabble:

This week picked back up on what will be my 'regular schedule' until rodeo season hits...

Monday - Young Life Club

Tuesday - Beth Moore Bible Study at FBC Houston

Wednesday - Young Life Campaigners

Of course there's work and workouts too, and everything else fits in around all of that. I'm busy, but not as busy as I've been in years past. I'm not packing out every single weekend. And I'm actually enjoying this non-frenzied pace of life. I'm striving to have at least 2 'free' weekends each month where I can spend as much time enjoying what I have at home and getting things done so I'm not always overwhelmed.

Fitness Dabble:

Walked the 3 mile loop at Memorial Park with my friend Sarah today at lunch. Hopefully I can hit up the gym in between work and Campaigners tonight. I've eaten on plan today and will avoid the kitchen tonight - always too many treats around when high school friends are involved - if only I could get some of that teenage metabolism back!

Ok - that's it for the first 'dabble' post. Hopefully I'll return tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. I like the new format Renee' - good idea to reduce to 1 blog vs. 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to buy some blondies and contribute to your walk! msg me on FB and let me know how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new foRmat! Glad to see you posting again:-)

    I wish I could bake. It's a trigger for me, so I had to stop for the most part

    ReplyDelete