Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Grub

Although I didn't have big plans this holiday, I did want to cook. Problem was that I was the only one home this weekend - was there any point to cooking all of the food I wanted to? But I decided I would do it and would just end up eating it ALL WEEK...

Here's the menu:
Oven Baked Brisket
Creamy Cilantro Potato Salad
Squash and Zucchini Sauté
Simple Whole Wheat Bread
Double Chocolate Brownies

We'll start with the brisket. I don't quite have my smoker over here yet, so the only option was to do it in the oven. And who better to get a recipe for a southern meal from than Southern Living? I found this recipe for Oven Baked Brisket on their website and it had 5 stars and great reviews - so it went on the to-do list...

Next came the potato salad - I was browsing cooking websites and my love for cilantro came into play when I saw a recipe for Creamy Cilantro Potato Salad on A Taste of Home Cooking. I didn't get any pictures of the finished product because to tell the truth, it didn't look as good as it tasted - and it tasted great! Not as creamy as I typically have it, but less mayo means less fat and that's not a bad thing... Here are some pics of the preparation though:



And next up is the Squash/Zucchini Sauté. Although I've made squash many times before, I typically throw it in a pot and boil the crap out of it. Tastes somewhat good, but when I came across another way to prepare it on Dianne's Dishes, I decided it would make a good side dish for the meal. Once again it wasn't too pretty once it was all prepared, but the prep looked good!

Next came what was probably my favorite part of the entire day. I've always wanted to make homemade bread, but I've been very intimidated by it for some reason. I figured I could try it though, and if it failed miserably, I would just throw it away and pretend it never happened. But it didn't fail AT ALL - it worked out wonderfully - I was acutally surprised everytime it actually did rise as it should have! I got the recipe from Piggy's Cooking Journal - and I'm SO GLAD I did! I just actually enjoyed it for breakfast as well... can't complain!

And last but not least was dessert. If I were to pick one favorite blog to go to for desserts, it would definitely be Bake or Break - her desserts are INCREDIBLE yet not overly complicated either... I wanted to make some brownies, so I chose her Double Chocolate Brownies. The leftovers will certainly be brought to Young Life tomorrow night, because they are not safe in my house!


And that's what kept me in the kitchen for most of the day yesterday. And luckily my neighbors came over last night to help me make a dent in it! Now to go finish the dishes... ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment